Chang Ming - Taoist Long Life Diet
Taoist eating and drinking recommendations for constant good health
Increase your consumption of these foods :
- Whole grain foods: Wholemeal bread, Brown rice, Barley, Oats, Buckwheat, Rye, Maize, Millet, Quinoa, anything made with Wholegrain flour: Pasta and Noodles; Biscuits; Cakes; Shredded Wheat; Muesli etc.
- Fresh locally grown vegetables in season, organic if possible, steamed or stir-fried is best, or frozen vegetables.
- Vegetarian food such as: Beans; Nuts and Seeds (roasted); Soya Bean curd (Tofu); Vegetarian mince, etc.
- Free range white meat such as Chicken or Turkey; eggs; non-fatty white fish or Seafood, Prawns.
- Soya Milk, Rice Milk, Skimmed Milk, Soya Yoghurt, Low fat yoghurt, Low fat vegetarian cheese.
- Seaweed: Nori; Kelp. Natural Soya sauce: Tamari or Shoyu. Vegetable cooking oils and fats, unhydrogenated.
- Fruit which is local and seasonal preferably cooked or dried: Dates, Sultanas, Raisins, Figs, Apple, Strawberries.
- Sea salt only, in strict moderation, or Gomasio - sesame seeds and sea salt as a condiment.
- Herbs, herbal teas and coffees, Caro, Barleycup, China Tea: Green or Black.
- Honey, in moderation, unrefined sugar only if you must.
Reduce your intake of these:
- White bread, White flour, White rice, Refined or Processed, Tinned and Packet foods
- Chemical additives, Colourings, Preservatives, Flavourings, Fruit acids, (remember to read the label).
- Red meat: Beef, Pork, Veal, Lamb, Bacon, Sausages, Meat products or extracts.
- Red or blue fish - Tuna, Salmon, Mackerel, Swordfish, scavengers such as Crab.
- Poultry or fish that is high in fat - Duck, Goose, Haddock.
- Boiled, fried or poached eggs. Scrambled or in omelettes is better, or in baking.
- Dairy products - Full fat milk, Cheese, Butter, Lard, Dripping, animal fat products.
- Alcohol, Tobacco, Coffee, Sugar, Sweets, Chocolate, Drugs, Artificial vitamins, supplements etc.
- Spices, Pepper, Mustard, Curry, Vinegar, Pickles, Rock Salt.
- Nightshades: Potato, Tomato, Aubergine.
- Rhubarb, Spinach (high in Oxalic acid)
- Ice cold food and drink especially Ice Cream, Cream, Carbonated drinks etc, Raw and uncooked food .
- Fresh fruit which is out of season or imported from a different climate, Tropical fruit drinks.
- Deep fried food. Grilled, Braised, Roasted or Stir fried food is better.
Always remember -
- Buy fresh, organic, locally grown, seasonal whole foods whenever possible.
- Avoid cold food and cold drinks. Cold baths, showers or swimming in cold water.
- Reduce your fluid intake as much as possible, avoid drinking before a meal.
- These basic guidelines are only to be followed in consultation with your teacher.
- If you have a health problem consult your doctor before changing your diet.